Once your teeth are straight and the braces are off, Dr. Sebastien will discuss with you possible retainer options to keep your teeth from shifting.
Types of Retainers
- Bonded lingual wire (a metallic wire that is bonded to the backs of your upper or lower teeth to stop them from shifting)
- Removable retainer (a removable, clear or wire retainer that must be worn every night)
- A combination of the two
Unless instructed otherwise, you should wear your removable retainer every night while you sleep, and brush it every morning with a toothbrush and toothpaste to keep it clean and clear.
How to Clean Removable Retainer
- wet toothpaste-coated toothbrush with water
- brush the inside and outside your retainer just like you would brush your own teeth: on the front, sides, and backs, making sure to clean off any saliva and food particles stuck in the cracks.
- rinse your retainer under the tap and place it back in your container for safekeeping